Wake Up Smit

This is my Blog, I'll write what I think, what I like to share with everyone. I do not claim to be the originator of all collections here. I get these through, email, books, movies amongst other sources; makin it difficult to always give credit to the Author. It is just my attempt to liven up LIFE which is in any case too serious. There is no discrimination - racial or otherwise involved. If you see something you do not like, please feel free to move on!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alvida Orkut

"Oye tujhe pata hai, isme ham sabhi Ke msg pad sakte hai" he said
" matlab tune kisi se Baat ki ho to wo me bhi dekh sakta hu? Sahi hai yr. Ise kahte kya hai?" I asked
"ORKUT" He replied.

This is first time I heard about it from my friend manish Lunja a.k.a. Dada. It was year 2005 and I had goosebumps just to imagine I can read profile of girls and read their messages. Today after 9 long years orkut is going to shutdown. But memories will be there always.

Before ORKUT yahoo messenger was only place for chat. And there were various rooms for chat but most of them are having ID like superstar_245 or cool_girl_4_u and many others. But but both side knows they are fake. And conversation started with "ALS please" and end with. " First u share ALS or bye"

After this orkut comes into picture where you can upload photos,upload status, send scrap, make groups, write testimonials for friends wish birthday to friends. It was just whole new world for youth back then. It was not hit as Facebook or twitter but it was too famous in college students. To be on orkut was cool thing. Send scrap to people and write testimonials was awesome.

There were no smartphone, so cyber cafe was only source for internet and pay 10 or 15 rs per hour ( or 5 rs. Each if you share it with ur friend) was to check if there is any scrap or friend request on ur orkut profile. There had been so many people I interact with on orkut. For example I was very big fan of jay vasavada back then n I send a scrap to him n he replied. That was a moment of joy. Although now a days you can easily tweet or send fb msg to ur fav celebrity. But back then it was great.

There had been groups of Kutch Bhuj and others. Also we had group meeting of many people who are from bhuj on orkut. And we had around 15-20 ppl meet who are from bhuj but not familiar to each other.

As the time pass orkut left its charm. Mass has taken over class. Ppl starts sending spam scraps. And FACEBOOK emerged. Up to 2008-09 it capture over orkut and people migrated to fb n twitter.

Google is going to shutdown orkut today but it will never go away from our heart. Orkut is not only web portal it was a friend for us.

I like to thank all those fellas I had chance to meet n interact on orkut. Some of them are very close friends now.

RIP ORKUT

4 comments:

  1. the whole write up shows yr attachment towards orkut bcz it was famous during your college days ! and certainly, that time was differnt when we ppl used to be excited to hit HI to a strager , some frndship and flirt togather :p
    orkut, being the first familier web portal, will stay long in memory with its round magenta icon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, It has many memories of my teenage life.. Sharing some facts I found http://www.citehr.com/314063-orkut-its-shocking-facts.html..

    Really will miss Orkut and its ScrapBook (Which taught us what to ask and how to ask strangers by viewing their profile..)..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete